- The Department of Education (DOE) Internet services are designed for DOE K-12 students and employees in support
of instruction. The DOE Internet Access Policy refers to all resources and systems that are available through
the DOE networks. These systems include a variety of DOE Internet and lntranet services including Lotus Notes
and Internet conferencing.
- Employees access the Internet and electronic mail systems to complete and enhance their job responsibilities.
Students use these systems to access resources to support and enhance classroom instruction.
Every school shall comply with this regulation. (jhara080917)
- The DOE reserves the right to review electronic communications. This reminder will be posted on email and other
electronic communications screens and sent out annually: "This system is owned and operated by the Department
of Education. Email is not private and is subject to management review."
- The Department of Education (DOE) prohibits the use of electronic communications for personal purposes not connected
to the DOE. Electronic communications and email will be used only for (DOE) business.
- All messages shall be appropriate for DOE purposes. Offensive messages, including foul, hateful language or
racial, religious or sexual slurs are prohibited.
- All DOE personnel issued accounts must participate in staff development sessions offered by the Department in
(1) Telecommunication Overview, (2) Electronic Ethics and User Responsibility, and (3) Internet Policies and Guidelines.
- Users shall respect the integrity of the DOE telecommunication infrastructure. Unauthorized access to the DOE
information systems, including Internet or other networked computers, is prohibited.
- Use shall be consistent with the goals of the DOE. The network can be used to market products and services
related to DOE instructional activities. Use of the network for personal profit or gain is prohibited.
- Participants shall respect the privacy of other users -- shall not access modify, or copy passwords or data
belonging to their users. Users will not publish private information on students or staff without permission.
- Authorized owners of the accounts shall be responsible for all communications from their accounts.
- Users may not access materials inappropriate to the educational mission and goals of the Department such as
-- but not limited to -- pornographic materials, adult entertainment, cult/new age, promotion of illegal drugs,
gambling, militancy, information on building bombs, information related to unlawful activities or violence, or
files dangerous to the network. All DOE schools must block access to such sites.
- Users shall respect copyright laws and licensing agreements pertaining to material entered into and obtained
via the Department's network.
- Any user who does not comply with the Internet Access Policy will lose network privileges. Repeated, or severe
infractions of the Policy may result in termination of access privileges permanently. Unauthorized use of the
network, intentional deletion or damage to files and data belonging to other users or copyright violations may
be termed theft as defined under DOE Chapter 19, the Hawaii Revised Statutes and Federal laws.
Amended: 11/98, 8/00, 9/08
© Hawaii State Department of Education, P.O. Box 2360, Honolulu, HI 96804; Physical
address: 1390 Miller St, Honolulu, HI 96813; phone: 808-586-3230; fax: 808-586-3234. All rights reserved.
For problems/questions concerning this web site, please email the webmaster. Links to
other web sites should not be considered an endorsement. DOE is not responsible for the content of external web sites.