- PA1: All required physical education classes are aligned with the Hawaii Content and Performance Standards for physical education.
Each secondary school’s physical education department provides continuing support to students and their families to help them participate in physical activity outside of physical education class.
- PA3: All students have at least 20 minutes a day of supervised recess, during which students are encouraged to participate in moderate to vigorous physical activity.
- PA4: All required physical education classes have instructional periods totaling a minimum of 45 minutes per week for grades K-3, 55 minutes per week for grades 4-5, 107 minutes for elementary grade 6, and 200 minutes per week for secondary grades 6-12.
- PA5: The school ensures that state-certified physical education instructors teach all physical education classes and have a student/teacher ratio similar to other classes.
- PA6: The school provides information to families to help them incorporate physical activity into students’ lives.
- PA7: The school discourages extended periods (i.e., periods of two or more hours) of inactivity.
- PA8: When mandatory school-wide testing makes it necessary for students to be inactive for extended periods of time, schools will give students periodic breaks to stand and be moderately active unless the testing protocol specifies otherwise.
- PA9: The school does not use physical activity as punishment.
- PA10: The school does not withhold opportunities for physical activity as punishment.
© Hawaii State Department of Education, P.O. Box 2360, Honolulu, HI 96804; Physical
address: 1390 Miller St, Honolulu, HI 96813; phone: 808-586-3230; fax: 808-586-3234. All rights reserved.
For problems/questions concerning this web site, please email the webmaster. Links to
other web sites should not be considered an endorsement. DOE is not responsible for the content of external web sites.