NH2: The school promotes the importance of students starting the day with a healthy breakfast, including participation in the School Breakfast Program.
Smart Reasons To Eat Breakfast …
- Fuels the body with nutrients. Your child may not make up nutrients missed at breakfast;
- Provides food energy for the morning’s active play;
- Gets your child ready to learn – at home, school, or day care. Kids learn better if they eat breakfast;
- Helps keep a healthy body weight;
- Breakfast helps control the urge to nibble or eat too big a lunch. Even with breakfast, young kids may need a small morning snack;
- Helps kids feel good. Children may get morning tummy aches if they miss breakfast. These aches are usually hunger pangs;
- Tastes good! Offer foods your child and family enjoy – even if they aren’t common for breakfast; and
Ways to Promote School Breakfast Program
Studies Supporting How Breakfast Supports Learning
- Bhattacharya, J.; Currie, J.; Haider, S; Evaluating the Impact of School Nutrition Programs: Final Report; E-FAN No. (EFAN04008) 48 pp, July 2004.
- Jacobson, J.; Briefel, R.; Gleason, P., Sullivan, R.; Designs for Measuring How the School Breakfast Program Affects Learning; E-FAN No.; (01-013) 153 pp, December 2001.
© Hawaii State Department of Education, P.O. Box 2360, Honolulu, HI 96804; Physical
address: 1390 Miller St, Honolulu, HI 96813; phone: 808-586-3230; fax: 808-586-3234. All rights reserved.
For problems/questions concerning this web site, please email the webmaster. Links to
other web sites should not be considered an endorsement. DOE is not responsible for the content of external web sites.