The following is from the Honolulu Advertiser
article "Striving to succeed ",
College application calendar — what
to expect and when
Key academic dates for juniors and seniors. For details, see your college counselor:
- For juniors becoming seniors, this is the time to narrow down your college choices and gather information
through the Internet about each college. Also, do something constructive during the summer break: Get a job,
take a summer course, volunteer, intern, or take a community college course through the Running Start program.
This is your last summer of high school, so make it count.
- If you're a senior, register for the October, November or December SAT, ACT, TOEFL (TEST of English
as a Foreign Language, for ESL students) or SAT II (if needed). Also, this is the time to request college applications
and begin working on them.
- The PSAT, or Preliminary SAT, is the best way for juniors to prepare for the SAT and is administered
- The annual College and Career Fair at the Blaisdell Center is a great way to investigate different
colleges and universities, as well as careers.
- Seniors should submit the FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid, by the end of January (free
workshops are held throughout the year).
- If you're a junior, take the SAT exam, which is administered March through June.
- Respond to colleges before the May 1 deadline.
Source: McKinley High School College and Career Center
© Hawaii State Department of Education, P.O. Box 2360, Honolulu, HI 96804; Physical
address: 1390 Miller St, Honolulu, HI 96813; phone: 808-586-3230; fax: 808-586-3234. All rights reserved.
For problems/questions concerning this web site, please email the webmaster. Links to
other web sites should not be considered an endorsement. DOE is not responsible for the content of external web sites.